With the US Powerball lottery currently soaring to a massive $167 million, one Powerball lottery winner has come out to warn lottery players about some rather nasty lottery scams out there.
On the 11th of June 2014, Roy Cockrum’s life changed for ever when he won $259 million on the US Powerball jackpot. It’s what every lottery player dreams about. Everything naturally went off smoothly. Roy claimed his Powerball winnings and he got paid out with all the usual excitement surrounding a huge jackpot.
Being a former actor and monk, Roy lived up to his promises to help the less fortunate by setting up the Roy Cockrum Foundation. He has also made several large donations since his huge Powerball win which included giving $1 million to the University of Tennessee Medical Centre.
Unfortunately, after the news of this win and his substantial donations got out, lottery scam artists tried to cash in using his name.
Since his big Powerball win there has been at least ten Instagram pages set up in Cockrum's name that says "My goal is to give $1,000 to the first 50,000 followers."
Roy, and the foundation, he set up, have done their best to warn as many people about the scams using his name and saying, “We do not raise money or ask anyone for money. Remind your friends and neighbours to never respond to these crooks.”
The foundation warned people to ignore emails, texts and social media claiming to be from him.
It’s not the first time and it certainly will not be the last time, that a lottery winner’s name has been used to try and scam people out of money. Juan Vasques from Phoenix, also received an email from the scammers informing him that he had been randomly selected to receive $3 million from Mr Cockrum. Thankfully, Vasquez was immediately suspicious about the email as it stated that he needed to pay $480.00 up front for the funds to be transferred to him.
Requesting money upfront is a common tactic used by scammers to scam victims out of their well-earned money. Unfortunately, scammers often target the elderly and have been known to wipe out victims’ retirement savings.
Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is…
Here are some tips that can prevent you from being scammed:
- If someone says you have won a lottery that you have never played, immediately be suspicious. You can’t win a legitimate lottery if you didn’t buy a lottery ticket.
- Be suspicious if an e-mail contains misspellings or poor grammar, or if the person who called you uses poor English.
- If you are told that you need to keep your “win” confidential, be suspicious.
- No real lottery, tells winners to put up their own money in order to collect a prize they have already won. If you have to pay a fee to collect your winnings, you definitley haven’t won.
- Just because a real lottery is mentioned does not necessarily make it a real prize. Someone may be using the lottery’s name without its permission or knowledge.
- If you are told that you can “verify” the prize by calling a certain number, that number may be part of the scam. Instead of calling it, you should look up the name of the lottery or organization on your own to find out its real contact information.
- If you think someone on the phone is trying to scam you, hang up immediately. If you engage them in conversation, your name and contact information could end up on a list that’s shared with other scammers.
Thankfully playing the lottery online at PlayHugeLottos.com gets rid of any fears regarding winning the lottery, paying for the tickets safely and receiving your winnings. With PlayHugeLottos.com, your information is safe, you always receive confirmation emails of your purchases and results, and we are always on stand-by to answer any of any queries you may have.
But don’t take it from us, instead, let’s take a look at what our online lottery players have to say:
Here at PlayHugeLottos.com, we treasure and protect our clientele from scam artists when they buy lotto tickets online. After reading this article, hopefully more online lottery players will now be aware of these scams be aware of what is currently out there.
Being in the online lottery industry since 1998, PlayHugeLottos.com is the oldest and most highly regarded online lottery ticket purchasing site in the world.
Play the lottery online with confidence right now with PlayHugeLottos.com and give yourself the opportunity to win a jackpot prize that can change the course of your life forever!
The biggest Jackpots currently on offer are as follows:
We wish you the best of luck!
The PlayHugeLottos.com Team
This website is owned and operated by Secure View Services Limited, of 3rd Floor, Methonis Tower 73, Archbishop Makarios Avenue, 2082, Nicosia, Cyprus using the Curacao gaming license (No: 8048/JAZ) of its holding company Play UK Internet N.V.
© 2020 Play UK Internet N.V