There are countless online casino games to play, but out of all the options available, online roulette is arguably one of the most popular and beloved online casino games available. Roulette is a staple of real casinos and its online versions are just as fun, exhilarating and very similar in terms of rules.
In terms of rules, roulette is simple. Each player makes their bets on the table, the bets are accepted, the dealer throws the ball into the spinning roulette and then the wait begins. Once the ball has stopped, the number it lands on is the winning number and bets are calculated. It’s a very simple concept to grasp, but there are a number of complexities which make it such an interesting game.
The Roulette Layout
There are a number of unique layouts in roulette but the two main ones to be concerned about are the American and European wheels. European wheels (also known as French wheels) are characterised by the single zero on the wheel while American wheels have the infamous double-zero. In most cases, the European wheel is better for players as it has a slightly lower house edge than the American wheel, but if you’re playing online casino games then the wheel can take on a number of different shapes, sizes and themes. However, the betting layout will mostly be the same.
Betting in Roulette
In roulette, bets are split into two basic categories; inside and outside bets. Inside bets refer to those placed on actual numbers and outside bets are the category bets such as red or black, odd or even and high or low. You can also make combination bets since there is no limit to your bet, meaning you can bet on both the numbers and categories to increase your chances of winning.
Here are the various types of inside bets:
- The Single Bet - Betting a single number on the roulette bet layout. The payout for a straight bet is 35 to 1 on that number.
- The Split Bet - A split bet is when your betting chip is placed on the line between two numbers with the payout being 17 to 1.
- The Street Bet - A bet on three single numbers in a row. The chip must be placed on the outside edge of the row of numbers, such as on the side of the 18 which places a bet on 16, 17 and 18. The payout is 11 to 1.
- The Square Bet - Placing the chip on the corners of four different numbers initiates a square bet. This pays out 8 to 1.
- The Line Bet - Similar to the street bet, except the chip is placed on the outside edge of two different numbers, meaning you will bet a total of 6 numbers with a single bet such as 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. This pays out 5 to 1.
Here are the outside bets:
- The Column Bet - The column bet is often described as the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Row bets on the roulette table. You place your bet on the entire column of numbers (12 in total) and the payout is 2 to 1. The zeroes are not part of this wager!
- The Dozens Bet - On the side of the numbers you’ll find the Dozen bets which are bets of 12 numbers at a time much like the column bets. Similarly, it pays 2 to 1.
- The Odd or Even Bet - You’ll also see Odd and Even bets which, as the name suggests, pays out when the number is odd or even. This pays out at a 1 to 1 rate and the zeroes do not count!
- The High or Low Bet - Another 1 to 1 payout bet that again does not include the zeroes. The bet is split into the numbers 1-18 and 19-36.
- The Red or Black Bet - The last 1 to 1 payout bet that only looks at the colour of the number that has rolled.
As you can see, there are a wide variety of bets in roulette and the game can offer quite a bit of complexity and depth. You can stick with safe options such as the 1 to 1 payout bets like high and low, or you can choose single numbers. Remember that you can place multiple bets as well, such as on several individual numbers or even try your luck by betting on the zeroes, but these pay out the same as a single number.
The House Edge
Roulette has a huge number of different bets and combinations that can make for an exciting online casino game. However, it’s good to keep in mind that when it comes to the house edge, you’re better off playing the European version with just a single zero. This is because there is one less number (the 00 is not included) which means that the house edge is only around 1.35% to 2.70%. In comparison, the American double-zero roulette wheel has a house edge of around 2.62% to 7.89% depending on your bet. This means that the average is around 5.26% which is much higher than the European version.
Are you ready for the thrill of a casino without leaving your house? Then play roulette online today!
This website is owned and operated by Secure View Services Limited, of 3rd Floor, Methonis Tower 73, Archbishop Makarios Avenue, 2082, Nicosia, Cyprus using the Curacao gaming license (No: 8048/JAZ) of its holding company Play UK Internet N.V.
© 2019 Play UK Internet N.V