For those not living in the United States, this lottery is as much a part of American culture as cheeseburgers, baseball and celebrity presidents are! After this article, we promise that you’ll have a whole new picture of this US lottery that you’ve never had before. If you like what you’ve learnt about Mega Millions after this, be sure to get your tickets for the next draw right here at PlayHugeLottos.com!
Did you know?
1) On the very first Mega Millions draw that took place, a lucky player took home $28 million. This amazing feat happened on the 17th of May 2002, in Illinois.
2) Just a week later, there was ANOTHER jackpot winner. That means there were TWO jackpot winners in the space of three drawings since the game’s inception!
3) Over 200 million lottery tickets were sold for the record draw of $390 million on the 6th of March, 2007.
4) Mega Millions has generated 11 jackpots of over $300 million, including a record jackpot of $656 million on March 2012. The jackpot worth $656 million was the world’s largest ever jackpot in January 2016 before Powerball broke it.
5) It only took 68 draws for Mega Millions to sell its one billionth ticket on the 7th of January in 2003.
6) Just 34 weeks later, on the 29th of August, 2003, Mega Millions sold its 2-billionth ticket.
7) 24.5 weeks later, the famous American lottery managed to sell 3 billion tickets!
8) When December 2013 came about, Mega Millions had sold more than 29 billion tickets. That’s mind-blowing!
9) So far, over 500 players have landed up in the second tier. They each took home $1 million each.
10) Since October 2013, there have been over 638 million lottery tickets sold on the Mega Millions lottery.
11) In 2014, a total of nine jackpots were awarded to lucky winners. $20 million was won in New York, and the massive $414 million jackpot was split between a winner in Florida and the other in Maryland.
12) During the year 2014, three of the biggest jackpots awarded were over $200 million. In July, the Mega Millions game welcomed its very first jackpot winner from Missouri.
13) In the year 2016, there were another eight very lucky jackpot winners. The lucky dates were January 8th, March 8th, July 8th, July 19th, July 22nd, September 16th, October 11th and November 18th. The draws that took place on the 19th and 22nd of July had two successive jackpot winners. That has only ever happened six times in the game’s history. The jackpot won the 8th of July was the third-largest in the game’s history.
14) So far, in 2017, three massive jackpot has been won. Two in California worth $191 million, and the other in Arkansas worth $177 million.
15) In 2013, two lucky players took home the $648 million, but another 20 players landed in the second winning tier. They were lucky enough to become millionaires, but it’s a shame they missed out on just one number otherwise they would have also shared a piece of the jackpot pie!
There you have it! A list of 15 things you probably didn’t know about the Mega Millions lottery.
Make sure you enter tonight’s massive draw for $436 million! You can’t miss out on this amazing draw.
Get your tickets now!
This website is owned and operated by Secure View Services Limited, of 3rd Floor, Methonis Tower 73, Archbishop Makarios Avenue, 2082, Nicosia, Cyprus using the Curacao gaming license (No: 8048/JAZ) of its holding company Play UK Internet N.V.
© 2020 Play UK Internet N.V